After being placed on the disabled list nearly a month ago, Red Sox ace Clay Buchholz is getting ready to rejoin his teammates in Boston. Buchholz has been on the disabled list since May 25th because of a hyper-extended left knee, but allowed only two hits while striking out five in his Thursday start in Triple-A Pawtucket.
“He was able to get up to nearly 90 pitches in six shutout innings of work,” said manager John Farrell. His changeup feel and execution was much improved, and the shape to his overall pitches was consistent, particularly with the way he threw his changeup today. A lot of strikes.
He comes back to us. He’s flying out here as we speak. His start was one that we all felt was needed, but he went about it the right way and comes back to us with momentum.”
This season, Buchholz is 2-4 with a 7.02 ERA in 10 starts prior to being injured. This is not the 29-year olds first trip to the disabled list. He spent time on the DL in 2011 with a stress fracture in his spine and missed a few starts in 2012 with esophagitis.
When he is healthy, Buchholz has proven to be one of the league’s best pitchers. Last year Buchholz went 12-1 with a 1.74 ERA and 96 strikeouts, but only made 16 starts because of a lingering neck injury.
“Unfortunately for Clay, there have been some interruptions in his seasons in the past,” Farrell said. “Hopefully we’ve worked through a number of things that puts him in a place that the numbers that are on record to date this year are just that, they’re in the past, and we get a guy who’s kind of straightened out a little bit and is ready to go.”
The exact date of Buchholz next start has yet to be determined by the team, but presumably it will be next week. The Red Sox can certainly use his help, if healthy, as they currently sit in fourth place in the American League East.