Earlier this week it was reported that San Diego Padres’ outfielder, Cameron Maybin, had ruptured his left bicep tendon. After an MRI on Monday, the prognosis was that surgery would be the the only way for the 26-year old outfielder to heal. This would have kept Maybin out of baseball for at least three months if not more. That is pretty devastating news for a player who was only be able play in 14 games for the Padres last season due to injuries. Even Padres’ general manager Josh Byrnes told MLB.com,
“I thought he was done for the season.”
Maybrin, having decided to opt out of surgery and take another route of rehabilitating his bicep, visited Padres’ doctors early Thursday morning where the 26-year received some unexpected news. Surgery could have still been an option but the team doctors told Maybin that his decision to not go the surgical route was the correct one. On the subject Byrnes said,
“Our doctors saw his diagnostics and talked to Cam and decided [recovery] will be healing and the rehab route before we get him back to activity. But the strong consensus was no surgery.”
The strong consensus was for the Maybin NOT to have surgery. This is certainly good news for the young ballplayer and his team. In 2011, his first full year with San Diego, Maybin hit .264 with nine homers and 40 stolen bases.
Maybin suffered the injury in Monday’s game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was racing from center to right field and robbed Juan Uribe of extra bases but landed funny on his left side. Padres’ manager Bud Black told reporters earlier in the week that,
“When he landed, it jarred the shoulder and did damage to the biceps tendon.”
Through healing and rehabilitation Maybin will miss much less of the season than had the team doctors recommended that he change his mind and opt for the surgery.