The WWE universe was put on notice Monday night when Paul Heyman gave into Chris Jericho’s relentless taunts and announced that CM Punk would face Jericho at Payback. Punk has been out of action for a month now after losing to the Undertaker at WrestleMania in what many fans consider “The match of the year.”
CM Punk made history earlier this year holding the WWE title for a record 434 days before losing it to the Rock at Royal Rumble and then losing in his rematch to The Rock at “Elimination chamber.” The reign was the longest in a decade putting him sixth on the all-time list of WWE longest title reigns
Having Punk back should be a lifesaver for the WWE who has lost many top talents like Dolph Ziggler, The Rock, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, and most recently Kofi Kingston to injury. The influx in injuries has put the WWE on their heels to produce new superstars for the future of the industry.
So far they have done just that with great new talents like “The Shield,” Fandango, Big E Langston, and Curtis Axel. Even though the WWE is off to a great start to producing new talent, fans are left to wonder what will happen to these up and comers once the likes of The Rock, Dolph Ziggler, and other superstars return.
With CM Punk returning to the squared circle we are also left to wonder what will become of him. Will he be launched right back into the WWE title conversation or will he stay a mid-carder and help get over some of the new up and coming talent? Personally I think Punk’s comeback is poorly booked, and will result in him being more of mid-carder as WWE focuses more time on getting over their future superstars.
So in honor of Punks return to the squared circle, I give you my top five return matches I would love to see happen.
5. CM Punk versus Daniel Bryan: I would love to see a rematch between these two superstars. Daniel Bryan has been on a roll lately getting huge pops from the crowd with his death defying aerial moves. Add in CM Punk’s quickness and ability to hit his signature “GTS” at a moment’s notice, and you have a match worth seeing.
4. Cm Punk versus Seth Rollins: I am honestly dying to see Seth Rollins in singles completion sometime soon. His high-flying abilities make him a very versatile superstar, and would make for a great match with CM Punk. It would be interesting to see how Punk would fair in a match with this high flying future superstar. In the end I think it would be CM Punk winning the match after he reverses Rollins top rope knee into the “GTS” for the win.
3. Cm Punk versus The Miz: These two are without a doubt two of the best performers on the microphone week in and week out. The storyline build up would be amazing with each superstar tearing their opponent apart with jaw dropping verbal assaults. As for the match I think it would be a very breathtaking match between these two former champions. With WWE shifting towards the future it only makes sense to put Miz up against the best in the world.
2. CM Punk versus Big Show in a steel cage match: To see the world’s largest athlete and the self-proclaimed best in the world battle it out in a steel cage would definitely be something on a lot of WWE fans bucket list. It’s hard to predict how Punk would fair in this match, especially with Big Show’s K.O punch. Punk would really have to pull out all the stops, maybe even hit a diving elbow from the top of the cage. That’s preciously why this would be a good match. Look back at any of CM Punk’s matches that he was against all odds. What did he do? Pull out every move in his arsenal and win.
1. CM Punk, Brock Lesnar, and Curtis Axel versus The Shield: To see Paul Heyman guys team up to face the Shield would really be a dream match. Brock’s pure power matched with Punk’s killer instinct, and Axel’s quickness would be difficult for the Shield to overcome. To win, the Shield would really have to isolate the Paul Heyman guys, and strike at their weakest moments. Not only would this be a great return for CM Punk, but also a way to get Axel more of a push as a main event superstar